Skip to main content

Diary from Turkey 2009-by Arabian Oud {R}



Diary from Turkey

Words: by me

It all seems like yesterday when I came to this magical place, Istanbul had simply stunned me. The people, the atmosphere, the weather and more over the hospitality. I was in love all over again… The last time I paid a visit here was in March 2008 but it was nothing like the trip this year in April. I was to fall deeply in love and never come out of it. This love became special to remain in my heart forever. Rabia and I share a special friendship that does not have any label to it, it is beyond that of the other kinds of friends I have. Rabia is a character that I truly respect, she says we are twins, we have the same qualities, the same attitude towards men and towards life.

As time flew by, I became closer to her aunt, her mother and her brother Cetin. Cetin speaks good English, but he is shy, he says that he thinks he’s not good looking, but I tell him he is very handsome. He is 14 years old, but he still knows what a girl likes in a guy. Life in Turkey is at peace, but there is so much going on inside that it takes someone to constantly be energetic to catch up. I never wanted to leave, I was so attached to Istanbul and the sound of Athaan just made me sink deeply into the Islamic world that is here. While Rabia and I had the opportunity to visit the Sultan Ahmet mosque, I made sure I did not miss the opportunity to pray here, I was reconnected, my soul had come alive all over again. As we stepped outside the mosque, we saw a group of youngsters sitting under the shade that with benches, they were students. The two guys sitting opposite them were playing a guitar and the other was singing, they were singing in Turkish and then at times in English. Rabia and I sat on the side behind them so nobody could clearly see us. We were shy, we listened to the music and even clapped, they did a good job. As time ticked away, we had to leave and I was extremely shy as I said ‘ keep up the good work guys’, Rabia insisted I say good luck, it is seen as a good gesture from a foreigner. Yes, I was a foreigner here, but I was well respected and treated like a visitor receiving good hospitality.

There were times when people thought we were lesbians, it was probably because we had a strong sisterly bond and our relationship was something that was ‘special’. She was like a sister to me, an elder sister. I remember her pretty face and how she smiled with innocence, trying to handle every problem with courage. I remember when we planned to eat out at McDonalds and driving all the way to the downtown seemed like an impossible job to accomplish. There was so much traffic, I mean I thought London was worst but no way, Istanbul takes the record of being the busiest traffic in the world, and Dubai on the other hand could be counted as number three in the busiest traffic lanes in the world. We finally ended up eating ‘ balik’ or ‘ fish’, because there seemed to be no parking available at McDonalds. People are so specific about the parking there, I am like ‘OH MY GOD’ give me a break, when we were finding a parking at the shopping mall, the security guard made it a point we parked the car in the right direction. The same thing occurred at the hospital parking, Rabia was in a hurry and so parked in anywhere that was not a parking, less did she care. I was left to overlook, as I took photographs of the hospital from the outside, I was left to think about life in Turkey. I wanted to remain here, but how long would I survive here? I happen to meet a lot of big shots in Istanbul, it’s more like Casablanca in Morocco, where everything is so prim and proper, everything is neat and high class. There was a lot of people from the Gulf countries, especially Saudi Arabia who seemed to have a liking for Istanbul. I still remember, the moment I stepped out of the Swiss Air flight to Istanbul and I queued up at the Ataturk International Airport‘s immigration to get my visa issued, I saw lots of Arabs in the queue, I could tell, they were from Egypt. A plane had landed from Cairo, it was parked close to the Swiss Air plane. I still remember how we met, Rabia called out my name from the other end and waved and I waved back, it was like two lost sisters finally met after a decade of separation.

I can’t forget any of the people I have met there, Najami, Ali, Ozlem, Naznein, Yahya and Yashaar. I remember how while on the way back from Grand Bazaar Ali accompanied us and in the car we played loud Turkish music. Rabia was mad at Ali because we spent too much in his handbag shop looking for designer handbags. This meant we couldn’t shop at the Grand Bazaar, I still remember how I quickly shopped souvenirs for my friends without bargaining and Rabia became angry because the shop keepers knew I was a foreigner and they would charge me a lot.

In the people I have met so far, I can close my eyes and say Rabia is one of the most special people close to my heart. It only takes a moment to touch someone’s heart and reach your soul, it only takes a short while to know if something exists between two people or not, the respect, the love and care. It doesn’t have to take centuries to know someone and realise if they loved you or not. Love is either there or it’s not and the same goes for friendship, either it exists or either it is never there. I still remember how Rabia and Najami came to drop me at the airport and we spent our last moments together at the Gloria Jean CafĂ© at the airport. Rabia got me a cheesecake with a strong layer of jelly. As I checked in, they waved goodbye, I felt so shattered inside and alone, good people are hard to find and difficult to keep hold of. Once you have someone valuable in your life, you should learn to respect and care for it, if you don’t, it doesn’t take too long before you lose it forever. I know this journey has just begun and therefore I will be looking forward to go back to the place that taught me the meaning of true relationships and how to value what I have.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The most hardest thing by Arabian Oud {R}

I couldn't help writing a blog for so many days, life has been so busy and more hectic than ever. But thank God for that. I am happy doing what I am and a lot of things in life seem stable. But for the past few days or weeks I have been in an inner turmoil.The most hardest thing at times in ones life is when they can not pour out their inner emotions to people around them, especially those they love and a re close. Sadly these relationships wire you so much that you fear losing them and you want to just display a very normal and very composed pattern. When all ears turn deaf or maybe your words stop churning and you end up in a corner which is confined for yourself. Normality, it seems flips and it turns you into an insane human being. You lose your mind and every therapeutic effort seems a waste. You need to wake up and ask yourself where your going wrong. Sometimes the people you come across are simply not worth your time. Do not rush into emotions, if you get an equal vibe tha

FOREVER LOVE- DOES IT EXIST?

I often ask myself,does true love exist? out of curiosity, this question hoovers around my mind, coz I have seen the majority cry over in love rather than be happy in love. When your alone, you wish you had someone and when you have that someone, your either happy or miserable, soon the short lived happiness turns ugly and all that feeling of love and compassion is fake. I am a non believer in love, but I ask you all, do you believe in love? do you even think something such as 'true love' exists? I would admit, I have come across few very few people who have fought for their love and stood firm and remained sincere and loyal through out.. but then, that's so rare to find, like they say 'true love is soo rare to find',like good things and people are rare to find. Once we lose them, it's then we realise their value, we never value something or someone till we have them, coz we think, we don't have to worry about anything and will never lose them. This is a wro

MISUNDERSTOOD- by Arabian Oud {R}

MISUND ERSTOOD At first they you pretend you care, But in reality you were ignorant, You offered help by lipservice, Nothing practical at all, Everytime I was depressed, You thought it was plain drama, Kept saying 'grow up girl', Changes were noticed slowly, The one day you went away, Here I was seeking love and support, Even my friends abandoned me, Everytime they met,it was about them, I pondered on what I had achieved, But there was no answer at all, They don't understand my problems, They never asked, expecting my life go-lucky, Here I am, Sitting on the bed, surrounded by dark walls, Tears keep flowing down nonstop, Wished there was someone by my side, Wiping them away, hearing my pain out, They call me names and think I am bad, They simply don't know my story, Love they say, is a medicine, But I seest that not, it only gives pain, They all called me immature and left, My heart was broken, the music stopped playing, Violins of my heart cried out so bad, Wished, the