Skip to main content
 TUNISIAN SPICE: When a holiday turns into a horrible life changing trip in Tunisia...



The story has been written by me, it is a real life story of an Arab-American girl of Tunisian descent who struggles with a forced marriage and how she finally escapes.. Only Part 1 and Part 2 are published.
Words: me
All Rights Reserved: Arabian Oud {R}
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Please note names have been changed to protect the true identity of individuals.

I never imagined my life would turn upside down in a moment. My friends have been the coolest girls ever and the most hip guys in Arizona. I know Arizona is not like the hub like that of New York or Washington, but it is still a cool part of the U.S. I am glad I belong to this part of the States. I was part of the ‘cool gang’ and that really made me happy. Yes, here it’s all about club culture for the youth and for having the coolest people to hang out with. That’s what builds your confidence the most out in this part of the world.

Life was so colorful and there was not a worry in my life till a few years later. So how do I define myself, well, I am a simple yet party crazy animal. I love doing wacky things. I am medium height woman, well, I think a woman is not quite an appropriate word for me, but being 23 clearly indicates I am an adult and not a girl anymore. I have an American accent so my Arabic isn’t good at all. Yes, I am an Arab. But not a typical run of the mill Arab. I am an Arab American.

I belong to a very American yet ‘very’ Tunisian family. My father is a typical Tunisian, who managed to retain all those Tunisian traditional values despite us living in the U.S. for ages now. I was born in the US, I cannot visualize my life away from the U.S., I finished school and college here. I have two brothers and so the only sister there is myself to them. I wanted to study ahead, but my life just didn’t let me, with all the drama going on, it became simply impossible. To the world, I cannot reveal my true identity, for if I do, my life is at true risk. My father might even kill me and therefore I have to use an alias name in this story.

You can call me Nibal, it is a typical North African name. Where I come from, my family migrated to the US ages ago, as I opened my eyes into this world, my world has been all about the US, the lifestyle, the culture, the food, the music I hear. Everything in me is American and therefore nothing Tunisian. I feel angered at people who tend to stereotype and think ‘Oh, she is born in the US, so what, she is still Tunisian.’ Being born in a country has a very big impact to a person’s character and thinking. I never knew my father’s family and so it so happened that after I could not carry on studying due to the family drama, I decided to work and make money. I was doing various jobs. I enjoyed working as a sales assistant at a retail store, then I shifted on to work at the hotel, it wasn’t just a riff raff hotel, it was a really posh hotel, a five star hotel in the downtown. But things were not very simple for me. There was a constant hustle of problems bursting into my daily life.

My inner frustrations came out, the problems I faced at home busted out at work. It became nasty. And then unbearable. My parents wanted me to get married. I mean, I am still young, do people get married at 23? I got married way before that, like over a year ago and I have been extremely miserable and I feel much suffocated. It’s like I cannot find a way out and if I stay here too long, I will probably not need my father to shoot me, I will do that myself.

My life story is complicated, but it is an adventure for many. In the deserts of Tunisia, where a lot of the tourist goes for holidays and enjoy the suntan and enjoy the camel rides, my life was going to change forever, for the worst.

With so much guilt in myself, I could not imagine hurting someone such as *Saif, my husband, as lovely and gentle as him. He has the sweetest faces, so innocent and a loving heart. I must confess he is an extremely patient person. I thought I could confide in him, but I was wrong. If I did do so, I would have only stirred trouble coming over and my father would make it a whole nasty scene in front of his family that includes the entire of it.

Saif is 28 years old and he was born and raised in Tunis all his life. Life for him has been pretty much within that region of the world. He never travelled to the US or to any Western country. He spoke broken English and he fluently spoke Arabic and French. You know the Tunisian culture is a mix of French and Arabic influence. I guess that makes it unique, just in the same way the Algerians, the Moroccans and the Libyans share the same league. Yes, we are mixed breed Arabs, but still we have our identity. I guess that’s what makes us unique than other Arabs. But I respect all other Arabs equally.

If only marriage was as easy as people thought. The younger generation, well, most of us, if not all, including myself, are not somewhat ready for this commitment. It is our elders who impose this idea on us, moreover making it sound even worse when they say Islam says we should marry early. Yes, I agree marriage is a wonderful concept, but I guess for me it was more about a white wedding rather than a marriage itself. Being married and getting married are two different things. I was not mentally prepared to be with anyone. I used to like a guy by the name of *Hassan, he confused me at times, but I fell for him, now it makes me extremely angry thinking why I ever made this mistake. He popped up right at the moment after I got married. That really made me mad. The problem with Hassan was that he turned out be an extremely selfish and a big player. He would just use others for his own benefit, portraying as this weak person in front of the other to get their sympathy and when he got what he wanted, he would make an excuse to end everything. It was more like a relationship of convenience.

I don’t even know how I am related to Saif, all I know is that he’s from my father’s family and they got me married off to him. If I said no, my father would have killed me, he literally got a gun out, pointing at me and threatened, either I get married to Saif or get shot dead. It was a tricky yet scary situation, I would have never expected my father to turn out this way in front of me. I never imagined he would treat me, the apple of his eye to be shot dead. I never visualized this day would either come. It truly scared my senses and the only sensible option I thought I could make use of was to get married to Saif, only to leave him later on. This way, everyone would be initially happy, but later, well, no one knows about that do them. My mother on the other hand could not utter a word, she lived in fear, and she was a victim already. However, I must say my father had a very nice side to him, but this monstrous side was the first glimpse I ever witnessed as an adult.

 From my father’s side, no one liked her, I don’t know, maybe because my mother wanted to live her life her way and did not want anyone to interfere. My mother did everything for our family, she would cook, clean and was a good housewife. What more could a man ask for? Are expectations risen to a point where it becomes difficult to keep each other happy? Have we become perfectionists in our own self and expect the same from others. I don’t know, but I could not see any problem from my mother’s side, if at all, it was my father’s side. My father is like Saddam Hussein, that’s how I see him resemble, the dictatorship style and even the looks at times.

When I introduced my friend *Aisha to my parents, she was extremely shocked, after she saw my father. This happened after I came back from Tunis, after getting married and had a stopover in London. I showed her my wedding photos, no I did not even look happy, and it seemed like a forced wedding. I was decorated like a doll, but nowhere did I have the glow of a bride who is excited to get married. After all, there was a heaven and earth difference between our match. I did not find him interesting as a person, we had nothing in common. Our lifestyles were so different, I was so outgoing and very independent, whereas Saif a more Tunisian short guy, who ran his own business somewhere in the city. I did not even speak Arabic and he did not speak good English. There was a language barrier between us and my father thought it was not a big deal and that Saif would soon take an English course to fill this gap. I did not see it this way, if I have to be married to this man and in a way, baby sit him by teaching him English, it will certainly not run a long while.

I remember the day we got married, it was a blazing summer and I was told with great excitement by the female relatives that this day shall be the most special and unforgettable day of my life.

It is the best day a woman can ever have in her life, it is like a dream come true. Saif’s aunt Maryam, a middle aged woman smiled at me, applied the apricot scrub on my face, while his cousin Saba oiled my hair. I remember, I was sitting on this traditional Tunisian styled chair, the women around sang traditional wedding songs of Tunisian origins. They were like tribal songs, music was played, those musical instruments, the drum, the voices hooting, women clapping. It was like a carnival. Everyone was happy but me. When his cousin Namoora applied henna on my hands, I could smell its strong fragrance. I loved that, it was so impressive the way she designed my palms with amazing designs. I totally adored henna tattoos. It was simply considered ‘cool’ back in the States. But this day was going to be written in the darkest ink, leaving a deep impact in my later life. The house was decorated in the most artistic manner, I loved the taste, but I was very nervous, what would happen next. I wanted to run away, but how, I had no way out.

After we got married, we did have sex a couple of times, but it was more about Saif wants it to do it with me and not my intentions in the first place. How could I have sex with a man who I could not connect with emotionally? It’s not just about the face value, it’s a 50 50 thing, it should be half of emotions and half of physical attraction. So why did I let him have sex with me? Well, because I did not want to start off with problems and even though I did not accept this marriage, but he did and not that it was something I wanted, getting married and having sex with him, it was more about trying to have a safe beginning so I could get it my way later.

Yes, everything seemed okay for a while, we would sit in our house and talk and watch television. We would have coffee together, whenever the time be, morning he would get up early to check on his business. He was a punctual guy, he would make sure his alarm would tick right at 6:30 am and so I had to get up too, because I was supposedly his wife and even though we had a maid, it was my duty as I was told - as a wife, I should be awake early and make sure my husband gets his breakfast on time. Also, making sure, his clothes were ironed the night before for his work.

Even though Saif did not seem to complain because I woke up late for the first day or two, he told me it was fine and I should take my time to adjust to the routine. I guess he was being very patient and kind with me. I could see it in his eyes, he loved me so much. But me, I never felt love only sympathy for him. I guess that came out of a humanistic angle. How are you supposed to feel for someone when they love you, but you do not and you're put in this tricky situation, where you cannot open up and speak your mind to this person, because he would be so dumb enough to pass it on to your family? Thus, creating a bigger problem. What do you do?

We shifted from the village where we got married to the city- life here seemed different. Everything seemed stable, I was trying to adjust, but life was too boring. I was not able to work, or maybe Saif thought there was no financial need for me to do so. He ran his own business and I working was pointless. I was not very familiar with the life in Tunis. For my family it was more about visiting my father’s family and enjoying the summer. Yes, it was good for a tan and it was good to be away from the US for a while, but I did not imagine moving away forever. And moreover, when you do not know the language and do not the traditions, what are you supposed to do?

Things did not seem to flow well and I could not see myself living here too long, as impossible as it may sound, I told my parents and my father that we needed to sort out Saif’s visa for the US. I could not say to him blatantly that I do not accept this man to be my husband, therefore the summer is over and I am off back home to the US. I did not give my father the chance to apply for the visa, this was another trick I kept in mind, and so after he pointed the gun at me and left me so scared of him, I cooked a plan. So after one week, I headed back to the U.S. I wanted to go home, yes I was not prepared to settle down with anyone. I was only 21 years old and do you expect someone as outgoing as me to just settle down for a traditional Tunisian life. I guess not.

Everyone in Saif’s family were shocked, in fact, I shocked my father’s family, but of course the reason they gave them was totally different to what the actual reason. Saif looked at me and kept insisting I not leave him and go to the US and the real place was here with him, our home. As much as I wanted to run away the more he wanted to be with me. He was clingy, but then again, what do you expect from a man who has just got married and on the seventh day his wife tells him ‘Honey, I am leaving to the US.’ Not a very pleasant surprise for the husband, truly difficult, he kept pleading and I felt so guilty because I knew I was going so far away from him that a return seemed so impossible sooner.

Saif’s mother even came up to me and told me to stay back and going to the US was a decision, which was not only wrong but also made in haste. I knew time was of the essence and I had to think about my future, whereas it should have been about ‘our future’. Sadly, there was no ‘us’, there was only me.

My mother even advised me not to take this step, it was wrong, but I could not think of any wrong or right, I just wanted to get out of the country. I wouldn’t say the country is a bad place to live in. I guess the most important thing was the atmosphere around me and how I needed my space and needed to do things. I mean, I know I sound like a moaning cow here, but even though we had our privacy and no one else was living with us, I did not feel we were doing anything productive. Maybe my expectations were too high from Saif. I knew him for a very long time, I know he liked me and even fell in love with me every summer I went to Tunis. But I knowing him was not enough, there were days when we didn’t talk before we got married. And now that I am leaving Tunis, he is pleading me that he will feel alone without me. I felt weak, but deep inside my heart wanted to leave and just vanish. I know my approach is wrong, but what else I could do, I felt this would take ages before anything would construct. For instance, he learning how to speak English fluently and we just lazed around. That is not my perception of a married life. Yes, I love cooking and cleaning and being organized, but I also love going out, shopping and grooming my home. I guess everything happened so quickly that mentally I did not accept the concept of marriage. I was only forced to accept him as my husband.

The moment I stepped into the airport, I felt a sigh of relief, but there was a sense of insecurity what if something went wrong, what if Saif tried to make problems by framing something at the airport. But thank God, everything went smoothly, my father assured him I would be back and that once his visa is sorted in the US, I will be back and come and take him back with me to the US. My father realized I was not the sort who would gel into a very different culture, even though this was ‘supposed to be my culture’ but I did not consider it as my own. It is not unusual. I do not hate the Tunisian culture, don’t get me wrong here. I was born into a country, which is a world in itself. Most of the ethnic minorities born in the US or for that fact anywhere in Western countries gel into two identities. It depends on how you balance that or grasp that identity.

People born in an Arab country probably think in a certain systematic way, but I see more Arabs so liberal minded now. I see them more intellectual and more outgoing. Yes it impresses me big time. I liked the Arab culture but I did not want to leave my home town Arizona to shift to Tunis.

Being an American Arab has its own challenges. We have our own world and we are more inclined towards a Western ideology but we try to have this fusion of two cultures. Arab culture is growing big in the States. We started getting into the belly dancing scene and then getting into the ‘shisha’ mode. I love doing ‘shisha’ and belly dancing, well I tried that once but I felt quite embarrassed doing it in public.

I once started writing a journal about my life as an Arab American and how it feels to be part of this country. I feel proud, since I am born I am privileged with an American passport but not once did I show off about it. Unlike some of my cousins in Tunis who always thought because I live in the West means I earn a lot of cash. Riches and poor exist everywhere, but it’s the way we look at the situation. I do not like it when people think ‘Oh she lives in the US, so she’s earning thousands of dollars.’ I do not agree. Sorry, but I am not all that. I do have curly Afro hairstyle, it’s so frizzy but I love this part of my heritage. I know it sounds so confusing right, but like I said, I do not hate my Tunisian culture.

It’s just the way I am.

I still remember as we made our way through departure and immigration, my time in Tunis was memorable yet painful as I felt suffocated every minute, I felt I was cheating someone, I was torn apart from within. Was this fair on me, forced to marry someone then told to baby sit his future. I was desperate to go back to my old life in the US, I knew I would settle back, it wasn’t long before I would get reminders of my new life back in Tunisia. Once we were back in Arizona, my father did not take long before he applied for  Saif’s visa, in fact that happened to be the first thing on his mind. I knew these things would take long and the visa won’t be processed overnight, it would be a matter of few months and then all those formalities he would have to go through.

The journey had just began but I felt it was already a long mile away, I had come this far back home but then I decided to move out and live on my own. I considered this as the best step to be independent, nobody would ask me when I am going home or leaving. I would get to live as a single woman, I know my parents were under a misconception that I was a bride eagerly waiting for my husband, but that was not the truth. My mother knew I never accepted this from my heart, my brothers did not have much say either. I had to focus ahead and think of what I was supposed to do when Saif would come back, so I decided to look for a new job again. After a lot of applications I finally got work at a reputable prestigious hotel in downtown. I even bought myself a car, I got things unfolded one by one but it was not easy.

My father offered to purchase me a property but I clearly refused. I wanted to be an independent and not keep depending on my father for financial aid.

Life seemed a drag, work was not my first concern right now, it was my health, and I soon felt a lot of pain around my abdominal region. I consulted my doctor, I found out I had cysts over my ovary. It was a horror, I was going insane with emotional issues, causing me stress and as months passed by I felt the actual burden of living alone. Six month on the row, I was feeling extreme unbearable pain and I felt this was not what I wanted, I mean I wanted to live alone and forget that I was even married but it was not so. I would get to talk to Saif rarely, every time I spoke to my parents they told me of Saif’s well-being and how much he missed me and couldn’t  wait to be with me. My father kept enquiring if I would often call Saif or not and I would say yes. I did call him up and he would call me up but I would try to make it very concise and to the point, I so couldn’t fake myself and say the ‘love’ word to him. He would say it so often that he missed me and how he wanted to hug me and missed my face. He even went on to say that he and his family wished she would return back. But I was never intending to go back.

I was falling sick and I was facing so much pressure at work that I nearly collapsed and had a nervous breakdown. What ever happened to my life in those moments makes me cry. Hassan decided to make an appearance and bother me... that was another problem I faced, for he did not know that I was now a married woman. I myself was not prepared to tell my friends! I wanted that as a deep secret.

But I knew it won't last for too long...

Continued...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The most hardest thing by Arabian Oud {R}

I couldn't help writing a blog for so many days, life has been so busy and more hectic than ever. But thank God for that. I am happy doing what I am and a lot of things in life seem stable. But for the past few days or weeks I have been in an inner turmoil.The most hardest thing at times in ones life is when they can not pour out their inner emotions to people around them, especially those they love and a re close. Sadly these relationships wire you so much that you fear losing them and you want to just display a very normal and very composed pattern. When all ears turn deaf or maybe your words stop churning and you end up in a corner which is confined for yourself. Normality, it seems flips and it turns you into an insane human being. You lose your mind and every therapeutic effort seems a waste. You need to wake up and ask yourself where your going wrong. Sometimes the people you come across are simply not worth your time. Do not rush into emotions, if you get an equal vibe tha

FOREVER LOVE- DOES IT EXIST?

I often ask myself,does true love exist? out of curiosity, this question hoovers around my mind, coz I have seen the majority cry over in love rather than be happy in love. When your alone, you wish you had someone and when you have that someone, your either happy or miserable, soon the short lived happiness turns ugly and all that feeling of love and compassion is fake. I am a non believer in love, but I ask you all, do you believe in love? do you even think something such as 'true love' exists? I would admit, I have come across few very few people who have fought for their love and stood firm and remained sincere and loyal through out.. but then, that's so rare to find, like they say 'true love is soo rare to find',like good things and people are rare to find. Once we lose them, it's then we realise their value, we never value something or someone till we have them, coz we think, we don't have to worry about anything and will never lose them. This is a wro

MISUNDERSTOOD- by Arabian Oud {R}

MISUND ERSTOOD At first they you pretend you care, But in reality you were ignorant, You offered help by lipservice, Nothing practical at all, Everytime I was depressed, You thought it was plain drama, Kept saying 'grow up girl', Changes were noticed slowly, The one day you went away, Here I was seeking love and support, Even my friends abandoned me, Everytime they met,it was about them, I pondered on what I had achieved, But there was no answer at all, They don't understand my problems, They never asked, expecting my life go-lucky, Here I am, Sitting on the bed, surrounded by dark walls, Tears keep flowing down nonstop, Wished there was someone by my side, Wiping them away, hearing my pain out, They call me names and think I am bad, They simply don't know my story, Love they say, is a medicine, But I seest that not, it only gives pain, They all called me immature and left, My heart was broken, the music stopped playing, Violins of my heart cried out so bad, Wished, the